12/03/2008

Superman to fly again?

It certainly looks that way.

The seguel to Superman Returns is one of those movies that might not have gotten made, considered by some a flop, though I'm not sure how, a sequel was not always a certainty.

But as Singer tells Empire Online, it is going ahead.

"That movie made $400 million! I don’t know what constitutes under-performing these days...Look, I can understand, I suppose, what some people mean. Perhaps some people went in with the expectation of it being like an X-Men film, and Superman is a tougher character than that. But, yes, I’m just getting back with writers after the strike. I’m starting to develop a sequel... With the intention of directing it."

But we are all aware that the first film was a little light on action and heavy on drama, Superboy anyone?

“The first one was a romantic film and a nostalgic film, I’ll be the first person to own up to that without making any apologies for it. I knew it was going to be that from the outset. And now that the characters are established, there’s really an opportunity to up the threat levels...Clearly there’ll be a body count [laughs]. ”

Superman Returns was never a bad film, but it just did some things to the mythos of the character that didn't sit well with many. An increased body count and higher stakes would be great, lets just pretend Superboy didn't happen, maybe he can be sent away to school. There is no doubt though, that Spaceys Luthor was fantastic! Now the question is, will we see Brandon Routh back as Superman after the flack he got?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never really gotton into DC other than the Batman vs Judge Dread comic and superman is a DICK. So im not impressed to hear there will be another as I watched minimal amounts of the last superman movie and was severely sickened by the shitness of it...saying that I've always been a true blood Marvel fan so I'd feel like i was cheating on my very fit wife (of marvel comics) if i did enjoy this lol