01/03/2008

Akira, should it stay on the page?

Now I’m a huge fan of the original movie, I remember sitting in my room with the lights off at the tender age of 10 watching the film. I wondered what was going on especially towards the end with every one being swallowed and crushed inside a giant mutating baby.

It wasn’t until I was a lot older that I started to understand the metaphors behind the beautiful animation.

Now I hear that Warner Brothers are going to produce not one but two live action films based on the classic 6 part Manga series by Katsuhiro Otomo (who also directed the first Akira movie). Now my problem with this film is simple, how is it going to work as a live action film? I’ve seen anime’s and manga’s that have been made into live action adaptations and a lot of the time they are so crappy, especially if they are done by a Westernised film maker.

I hope to god this works because I love the source material, with beautiful apocalyptic cityscapes being tormented by street gangs. So fingers crossed, I will keep you all informed as more news becomes available.

No comments: